Monk Question on Damage Reduction

Yes it says General which means just that.

Moderators: Dungeon Masters, Hala DM

Daemona
Area Builder
Area Builder

Monk Question on Damage Reduction

Post by Daemona » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:18 pm

My little monk recieved a set of robes with 5/- DR and work out real well for a lowbie. But it brought up a question for me I cannot answer. Once she hits level 20 (forever away) will this set of robes be an advantage to non plus weapons like the 20/1 DR she will get?

Greg-Pooh
Head DM
Head DM

Re: Monk Question on Damage Reduction

Post by Greg-Pooh » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:44 pm

It should use whichever is better. A +1 or better weapon hitting you would have 5 points soaked, and a non-magic weapon hitting you would have 20 points soaked. The two would not stack, so you wouldn't get 25 points from non-magical weapon hits.
"If you don't like yourself you can't like other people." ~Robert Heinlein

Tel
Lost One
Lost One

Re: Monk Question on Damage Reduction

Post by Tel » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:29 pm

There are 3 forms of "damage reduction"

There is Damage Immunity (listed as X%), this stacks with itself from multiple sources.
There is Damage Resistance (listed as Y/-, usually noted Y/blunt or Y/fire), this uses the highest applicable. In the case for elemental-resistance FEAT sources stack with 1 other source.
There is Damage Reduction or SOAK (listed as Z/+n), I believe this uses the highest +n value to determine which gets used first.

your reduction will go Immunity > Ressitance > Reduction > you actually take damage.

so in this case you should soak 5/(source) & 20/+1. assuming the weapon is not enchanted (no +1 Ab, or +1 Enchantment) you will soak 25 damage. If the weapon IS enchanted you will soak 5.