Bards and singing IG

Any Questions you might have.

Moderators: Dungeon Masters, Hala DM

Kali
Wise One
Wise One

Bards and singing IG

Post by Kali » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:20 pm

So, recently my bard sung a song at the fire. It was an old folk song, translated and covered by Ween. I replaced a location in the song with ‘Nuvar’ and the song didn’t have any modern concepts in it.

What I am wondering is when singing a non original song in game do we need to have the song approved beforehand? Or is the team happy for us to sing whatever until someone makes a complaint about a song that doesn’t fit the fantasy theme? Essentially are we trusted to use suitable and fitting songs until we break that trust?

(Take MR Bungle: Pink Cigarette for example. The words are just fine, except that there wouldn’t be any cigarettes in game. For a laugh give it a listen on youtube and then replace the ‘pink cigarette’ with part of the male anatomy. Sure you can reword a song like that to sing it in game but the subliminal message is lost…. Do it, do it now!)

Also do we credit the original song? I gave a quick ooc about it once I had finished so folk new it wasn’t my work and could go listen to it as well (Ween: Cold blows the wind, go listen now its neat!)

ForsakenPlague
Team Member; Retired with honors

Re: Bards and singing IG

Post by ForsakenPlague » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:41 pm

Hey Kali, hopefully this answers your questions, but as always, please follow up if more arise.
Player wrote:What I am wondering is when singing a non original song in game do we need to have the song approved beforehand? Or is the team happy for us to sing whatever until someone makes a complaint about a song that doesn’t fit the fantasy theme? Essentially are we trusted to use suitable and fitting songs until we break that trust?
You do not need to seek prior approval for a song, whether you're playing a Bard or another class. The Arkaz team is happy for and would like to encourage players to use their creativity up to the point that it breaks immersion, most-often due to so-called 'modern concepts.' A reference to a car, or Starbucks would be a no-no. This also extends to written works like poems and short stories.
Player wrote:Also do we credit the original song? I gave a quick ooc about it once I had finished so folk new it wasn’t my work and could go listen to it as well (Ween: Cold blows the wind, go listen now its neat!)
We would appreciate it if players gave credit where credit is due for legal reasons. It doesn't need to be some huge deal, just a simple, "This is the musician and song that inspired this," either right there IG or later on the forums.

Kali
Wise One
Wise One

Re: Bards and singing IG

Post by Kali » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:47 pm

Coolies. Thats all comon sense. I may post links to the songs so people can listen to them and get a better feel for the music etc. Not that you can understand the lyrics to the new doom metal album I recently aquired..... I assure you though, they are quite depressing.

Goes through his albums looking out for suitable or adaptable songs just incase