DM corwink

Post positive raves here
pp
unknown

DM corwink

Post by pp » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:44 am

I attended one of Corwin's events for the first time last night, and I was favorably impressed!

I was impressed with the pacing of the event. Not only did he keep things moving, but he played with expectations: I assumed the event was done after cookies had been given out and we were strolling back to town, but after a brief lull suddenly the action picked up again. (I especially enjoyed at the campfire, after it seemed that whatever was going on with Willow had been fixed, how it started becoming increasingly clear that something was quite wrong with her -- kudos to Willow's player as well for that.)

I enjoyed the way that he had planned in advance to allow characters from level ten all the way to epic to make essential contributions. (I was also impressed that he managed to include combat encounters without making them trivial *and* without wiping out the lower-level party members: after one fight I saw that nearly all the epics were at Injured, but not a single lowbie deathplaned.)

I liked how he reframed what "victory" meant. It was novel to come against a evil villain whose greatest strength *wasn't* personal combat, but instead things that were harder to directly fight back against. At the same time, fighting wasn't totally futile: by besting him we were able to achieve certain short term goals, such as preventing him from killing Shanala before she could give us information.

I was most impressed with the way that his DMing style faded into the background. His presence was often unfelt, making me unsure how much of what was happening was him and how much was players and the engine, right up until the instant he did something that made me realize he had been there all along. That he was able to get so much done, while hardly ever having to "become visible" to the players in an OOC sense, was quite a feat.

----

And of course, his seeming ability to be in two places at once was explained when he let it slip that Thor was online for the event as well. I'm not sure who to give credit for what, so I'll just have to give Thor a rave as well! :D

Daemona
Area Builder
Area Builder

Re: DM corwink

Post by Daemona » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:08 pm

+1

Corwink is uber awesome on events. I personally do not like events where it is no thinking and all pwning. And when it comes to pwning not to make it impossible to win by enhancing the creatures to the point that an army of level 40 epics could not bring it down. Corwink handles diverse parties very well and I know personally he does all he can to keep characters from DP. He has a DM style a lot like our WL Terry. I have often had my epic stand in the back and just use a bow and only go in without it if told to by the DM. Or been asked just to have the frail little ghost elf run around and heal others. They let your play your character IC and it makes the events so much more rewarding. I am also glad your having fun on Arkaz with us and tell your friends.

Michiko
Sage
Sage

Post by Michiko » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:36 pm

Definite Rave.

Especially when Aiko and the Necromancer were talking (after she was taken captured) and she kept asking him questions. He caught himself in a half answer and changed his tune to point out that I had caught him almost doing a typical evil villain monologue about his devious plans and refused to say one single word after.

:) Just made me grin. Was just like a classic comic book super villain comment :) Kudos Corwink
Last edited by Michiko on Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

makelovelikewar
Lore Master
Lore Master

Post by makelovelikewar » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:16 pm

it was a fab time! Kudos to Corwink and Thor! :D
makelovelikewar/medea

"I am of a different kind; Dangerous to my enemies, loyal to my friends. To such a life glory belongs."
- "Medea" by Euripedes

Tremayne7
Crafting Master
Crafting Master

Post by Tremayne7 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:30 pm

I was not at the event, but I would like to rave for Cor and Thor anyway. :D

I am always impressed with the level of DMing here on Arkaz. They way the team makes it seem like the NPC are just as real as us PC's. An if there are two DM's on, how well they communicate and "confuse" us poor PC's. :wink: But seriously, Corwin is a really fun DM and I enjoy his plots when I've been on Arkaz.

HUGS and game on!

Tremayne
Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning

ambrosia
Team Member; Retired with honors

Post by ambrosia » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:28 pm

total mad RAVE to you both!

++1 here! 8) I loved the pacing, loved the layering of what was going on, loved the twists! I was taken by surprise quite a few times last night; I had a BLAST! :mrgreen:

..side rave too: to my fellow players, playing off of you all is always so much fun! :twisted: 8) :D

aquamage
Wise One
Wise One

Post by aquamage » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:41 pm

I happily agree with all the great comments. This story has multiple layers and when we are playing it seems there is real depth to it. Im facinated to find out more of teh "story" as it unfolds. Thanks to DM's and players alike! :D :D :D

corwink

Post by corwink » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:58 pm

Aw shucks thanks guys, please be sure to thank Terror as well, he was around helping some too :D

I really have a blast dm'ing. Which is due to the great pc's and players Arkaz and copap has. Watching you all roleplay is a great enjoyment, and some of the things you all think of really throws me for a loop :wink: but thats the fun of it, thinking on your feet and rolling with what the pc's throw at you.

Keep up the GREAT job guys!

An extra special rave as well to Willow and Aiko for the willingness to go outside their characters norm and roll with the little extra I asked them to do. You both rp'd it perfectly.
Gone

Thor

Post by Thor » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:12 pm

I was just watching while Corwin worked all kinds of magic. It was great to watch as always, so let me add to the rave ;)

blue_wolfy
Informed One
Informed One

Post by blue_wolfy » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:50 pm

I would have loved to stay and been in it longer but as Asil was only level 1 i thought it best if i didnt get her in the way, thanks thomas too for the IC way out too running the message tot he mage school.