Arkaz Policy on Courtesy to DMs

Moderators: Dungeon Masters, Hala DM

Alphonse
Team Member; Retired with honors

Arkaz Policy on Courtesy to DMs

Post by Alphonse » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:59 pm

All our DMs do so volountarily, and for the fun of the players, and when i hear that players are making life difficult for them it makes me a very grumpy head DM.

Here for your reference are the things that will land you some time without DM love.
  • Asking a second DM if you can do something if the first DM told you no. Surprisingly enough the DMs do actually talk to each other.
  • Arguing with a DM if they tell you no.
  • Continuing to pester a DM if they've told you they're in the middle of DMing something, and they'll be with you shortly.
  • Pestering a DM to run something for you, because the DM you originally made plans with is not available / got hit by RL. We want our events to be the best possible, and so prefer not to jump into things with no prep time. It makes the event less fun for the players and the DMs involved. A simple question on the DM channel is welcome. Multiple requests with an "I came across x many servers / got up at 3am for this so i deserve to be DMed" attitude are not.
If you have a problem with how one of Arkaz' DMs handles things an email or a PM should be sent to Terryrayc or the Head DM.
*creater / destroyer of worlds*

grayking

Re: Arkaz Policy on Curtesy to DMs

Post by grayking » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:09 pm

Bumpity bump! One other thing. Golden rule. Google it. :| :D :cry: :roll: :twisted:
<CoffeeDragon> don't worry Gray, women are born in real life with Feat: Dirty Look 1 use per day +10 intimidate, 1 use per day +10 persuade

ambrosia

Re: Arkaz Policy on Curtesy to DMs

Post by ambrosia » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:08 pm

Please also keep in mind this includes a clause not to overly argue/complain during an event. If you have something of a more OOC concern/disagreement, please ask the DM to let you know when they can talk. Everyone on the team is willing to talk to you and hear what you have to say, but most of the time, there is a lot going on during an event that makes it very hard to -also- get into a long conversation with you. (to be clear, I am not referring to 'normal' questions, comments, and interactions) Basically, as much as possible, please allow a DM to talk with you -after- an event is over or when they say they can focus on your conversation. This is also respectful to your fellow players, as when you cause a DM to focus on you instead of the story, everyone looses out.

Also, if you are OOCly mad/angry/frustrated and need to bow out to calm down, please do so as graciously as possible. Ensuring everyone around you knows you are miserable before you /quit, really dampens everyone else's mood and makes your friends miserable. You can always come back and talk things out when you feel you can do so in a mature manner and with more appropriate timing.

And Lastly, if a DM decides to change plans in a plot due to whatever reason, please do not argue with them that they shouldn't change things with statements such as "you're doing this because of me, aren't you?" or any other sort of disparaging comments. It is a DM's prerogative to change a plot, end early, or go a different direction and they should not be put in a position to justify that change to you OOCly.

Remember, how you perceive something may only be one way to look at a situation. There are often other details you are not aware of which might change your perception/feelings when approached in a mutually respectful conversation. Good timing and attitudes are a big part of that respect.
- DM Avani - (retired)

ForsakenPlague

Re: Arkaz Policy on Courtesy to DMs

Post by ForsakenPlague » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:15 pm

The DM staff puts a great deal of work into events, from writing down the idea to setting up before hand; from getting approval for and making loot to actually running the event from start to finish.

At the very bare minimum, people should be incessantly raving them for investing their time and energy as volunteers.

Be. Nice. To. DMs. If you can't comprehend those words, I can't feel any-I reiterate, any-remorse for handing out VJ time.

Brayon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Arkaz Policy on Courtesy to DMs

Post by Brayon » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:53 pm

Bump