Question on the Cooking Craft on Arkaz

Yes it says General which means just that.

Moderators: Dungeon Masters, Hala DM

Cooking Craft

Poll ended at Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:43 pm

Keep it.
36%
Get rid of it.
45%
Other - Post below
18%

Total votes: 11

Brayon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Question on the Cooking Craft on Arkaz

Post by Brayon » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:43 pm

Behind the scenes we are discussing the state of crafting on Arkaz, and have been slowly going through tweaking, fixing bugs, adding recipes that were missing, and general clean up. During this discussion we are discussing the removal, or keeping, of the Cooking craft. I wont taint the poll by giving any pros or cons about the craft itself, or what functions it serves currently, or might in the future.

So, the Team wants your input. Would you like to see the craft remain, get removed, or have some other opinion on it? Please let us know by checking off your vote, and post below.

Thanks,
Brayon
for the Arkaz Team

Daemona
Area Builder
Area Builder

Re: Question on the Cooking Craft on Arkaz

Post by Daemona » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:18 am

I have tried it a little bit but am not really interested in chasing it. If others like it then leave it in place. But would it be possible to add a switch to the code that each character could set so that the creatures no longer have drops?

Zombie
Hala DM
Hala DM

Post by Zombie » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:07 am

I did some cooking, got sick of it. it was just something to do with animal meat. The recipes seemed odd.
Today you will suddenly realize how sensuous pudding can be. This will mark a turning point in your life.
Belinde: http://www.arkaz.com/lore/index.php?title=Belinde

terror2001
The One
The One

Post by terror2001 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:00 pm

There are some quests tied to cooking and quests tied to animal part drops. If you haven't found them you're not exploring enough.

Zombie
Hala DM
Hala DM

Post by Zombie » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:46 am

COOK THE MAN SOME EGGS!
*New Zealand joke...*
Today you will suddenly realize how sensuous pudding can be. This will mark a turning point in your life.
Belinde: http://www.arkaz.com/lore/index.php?title=Belinde

MissyFlows
Informed One
Informed One

Post by MissyFlows » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:53 am

i had one PC doing cooking... it was kinda... well he stopped eventually

Chris_Robin
Care Bear
Care Bear

Post by Chris_Robin » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:46 pm

Daemona wrote:I have tried it a little bit but am not really interested in chasing it. If others like it then leave it in place. But would it be possible to add a switch to the code that each character could set so that the creatures no longer have drops?
Unless Avlis shares their scripts, we don't have anyone at the moment who can spare the time to code it in. Sorry. :(
Shi'ara - Goddess of Pleasure

Commander Morgan
Apprentice DM
Apprentice DM

Post by Commander Morgan » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:27 am

I like the Cooking craft - I have one main who is eagerly discovering new recipes.

Only comment here would be how difficult it is to find out what ingredients to use... This applies to many other crafting skills; perhaps there could be more quest related rewards that give a series of hints as to what ingredients to use, or scrolls / books that contain hints or full recipes.

Perhaps the finished items could have more useful properties - aid, cures and so on, to make gathering more worthwhile (I haven't hit any of the higher recipes, so maybe this has already been implemented).

Thanks for all your hard work on all of the crafting skills - very ingenious. I do have lots of feedback on the other skills if anyone is interested too. :D

Akai
Hala DM
Hala DM

Post by Akai » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:36 pm

I followed cooking a few levels, just to do something useful with the meat drops, but it didn't actually accomplish anything except turning one type of useless item into another type of practically useless item, so I eventually quit.

I have found one body part drop quest, but don't think that a few gold and XP's attainable every so often by carrying bits to a remote place makes all the collecting and burning unwanted bits worthwhile.

I like the idea of a cooking craft, but would like to see the recipes accomplish something, and would like to see the materials only gatherable on purpose, and the surplus meat/body part drops removed. Perhaps change meat to droppable only by the extant animals that are already hunted for their hides.

Brayon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Brayon » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:49 pm

Animal Parts have been around since 2006, and are used in several different quest locations. The only parts that drop that are part of Cooking is the "Meat" items.

For Example:
Big Game Meat
Big Cat Meat
Bear Meat
Rat Meat
Snake Meat
etc

If the cooking skill is removed, only these would be removed. All other Animal parts will still drop for those other quests, and some for other crafts. A toggle wont stop animal part drops, for they are tied into a lot of different systems. Campfires can be made in a lot of different places to trash unwanted bits.